Friday, May 28, 2010

When does happily ever after really happen??

From the time we are small we are filled (at least us girls are) with visions of a knight on a white horse swooping us off and riding off into a spectacular and breathtaking sunset, with the pivotal kiss at the end before the credits roll.

But we are never really told about what actually happens, we just have to live it. Well, live through it, that is.

Then around the time of college (for some of us earlier) we get the messages of being a solid independent woman, supporting yourself, making things happen for yourself, having your autonomy, to eventually rule the world. Are these messages to counter and balance the "happily ever after" ending that we dream about when we are little girls?

Maybe so, but for some of us true romantics that wear our hearts on our sleeves, we still hold out for hope and hold onto the idea that one day, our prince will come.

I've never claimed to be a princess or high-maintenance, but if you think about it, neither was Cinderella. I am not looking for someone to give me diamonds and shower me with gifts.

Shower me with affection, be honest with me, respect me, teach me, most of all–love me. It has always been about the simple things for me.

Im sure there are many people out there that would echo my sentiments on this.

I've never wanted a perfect man, perfect is boring, and frankly does not exist. Rich men (for the most part, and I'm sorry to generalize) expect too much, and usually disconnect at some point, basically saying that most things in their lives are purely acquisitions, and are in fact "things".

What ever happened to the happy medium?

No comments: